We've released a summary of our briefing note 'China Touch-Point' with our compliments. Also, our Significant Investor Visa/ Chinese in Australia lunch 3 May has attracted strong interest with 7 tables already booked. Arowana International is the opening sponsor and a...read more
The latest Significant Investor Visa (SIV) statistics show 41 approvals per month, equating to nearly 500 per year. On a positive trend, there were 239 new SIV applications lodged in the 7 months to 31 January 2017. This equates to 34 a month, or 409 per year if...read more
The Chinese love affair with Australia continued in 2016 with direct investment into Australia surging 56% to A$4.8b. Investment mainly flowed into Australian real estate, leasing and commercial services and transportation, according to China’s Ministry of Commerce....read more
The Trump Effect, Fake News, Alternative Facts, Money Talks and Grey Area, & the Rise of the China-Hub
Trump Effect on China and Australia Are we witnessing the start of geopolitical & trade tensions... or just the opening gambit for the US to re-calibrate relationships with the rest of the world? Will there be ‘collateral disruption’ for Australia including...read more
China Capital Controls. Will settlement risks now start to bite? Alternative facts, FIRB crackdown. Limitations on transferring money out of China escalated sharply on 30 December 2016 when new rules impacting individuals and corporations were issued by the Chinese...read more
China’s rich & upper middle classes are disrupting asset values and consumption in Australia. As one of the world’s newest, largest and fastest growing wealth markets in recent history, they have attracted international… • governments offering investor &...read more
Subscribe to our newsletter
Our newsletter explores the following themes
- The growth and power of China’s ultra-HNW is greater than the late-1800s US ‘robber barons’ and the UK taipans & industrialists of the mid-1800s
- However, the angst generated is similar (for their ruthlessness, power, & moral ambiguity, whether real or perceived), until time and philanthropy turns them into ‘high-society.’
- China’s HNW will become stronger global forces as the ‘China Dream’ eventuates. Their money will influence asset values and popular culture in the West
- Volatility is part of this disruption. The US suffered its Great Depression during its rapid global ascendency in the 1900s
China’s 1-party rule AND the acceleration of technology voids comparisons to the rise of the ‘democratic West’ in the 1800s and 1900s. We are in uncharted waters when analysing China’s rise.
- China’s society and economy is changing rapidly. The anti-corruption & anti-extravagance crackdown, the move towards mass entrepreneurship & innovation, the focus on a consumption-led economy, and the reformation of Chinese societal values makes for interesting times.
We search the globe to produce insights on ‘China Disruption’
Our challenge, as collators and synthesisers of information from multiple sources, are:
- Information overload on China is increasing. What to include & what to leave out?
- Biased reporting (either pro or anti -China) needs to be reassessed
- Stories that depict extreme examples as the norm needs to be recalibrated
- Popular media often write emotive & passionate stories to evoke stronger reader responses (to increase readership and revenues), sometimes at the expense of accuracy. We remove the emotion and add insights so that the information is useful rather than passionate (making for dull reading…so our apologies in advance)
We look forward to staying in touch and informing you via our complimentary newsletters of the opportunities from the ‘China Disruption’ investment theme.