One of China’s most important political (and therefore important for everything else) events of the year is currently taking place: the National People’s Congress and the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference; aka the ‘two sessions.’ Official...read more
Unique insights on how Chinese HNW think about investing can be gleaned from a major Chinese wealth management firm. Beijing headquartered CreditEase said in its 2019 asset allocation recommendations report… Investors should monitor two potential “turning points” of...read more
The impact of Chinese wealth on Australia will be a focus at my Crazy Rich in a Trumpian World seminar, sponsored by Deloitte, 12 March in Melbourne. Discussion points from my co-speaker, Tim Cheung, co-founder of a China focussed hedge fund, and myself, will...read more
Get ready for fast and furious times as geopolitics, infrastructure capex, Chinese capital changes, and a property downdraft generates esoteric opportunities and challenges. Below is my partial list of China-factors that will impact business and investment portfolios...read more
What’s different this time is that a recent speech by US Vice President Pence, summarising a litany of China’s alleged violations on nearly everything, was a cold hard view from the US political establishment, rather than from the flamboyant outsider President Trump....read more
Crazy Rich Asians in a Trumpian World. The best of times, the worst of times, an age of wisdom, an age of foolishness
Despite near-chaos in the US-China-Australia relationship, I have not released any comment since January as I’ve been unwell. However, I can summarise the past 8 months in four words. I told you so. It’s now accepted that the US has moved to contain China, including...read more
Our newsletter explores the following themes
- The growth and power of China’s ultra-HNW is greater than the late-1800s US ‘robber barons’ and the UK taipans & industrialists of the mid-1800s
- However, the angst generated is similar (for their ruthlessness, power, & moral ambiguity, whether real or perceived), until time and philanthropy turns them into ‘high-society.’
- China’s HNW will become stronger global forces as the ‘China Dream’ eventuates. Their money will influence asset values and popular culture in the West
- Volatility is part of this disruption. The US suffered its Great Depression during its rapid global ascendency in the 1900s
China’s 1-party rule AND the acceleration of technology voids comparisons to the rise of the ‘democratic West’ in the 1800s and 1900s. We are in uncharted waters when analysing China’s rise.
- China’s society and economy is changing rapidly. The anti-corruption & anti-extravagance crackdown, the move towards mass entrepreneurship & innovation, the focus on a consumption-led economy, and the reformation of Chinese societal values makes for interesting times.
We search the globe to produce insights on ‘China Disruption’
Our challenge, as collators and synthesisers of information from multiple sources, are:
- Information overload on China is increasing. What to include & what to leave out?
- Biased reporting (either pro or anti -China) needs to be reassessed
- Stories that depict extreme examples as the norm needs to be recalibrated
- Popular media often write emotive & passionate stories to evoke stronger reader responses (to increase readership and revenues), sometimes at the expense of accuracy. We remove the emotion and add insights so that the information is useful rather than passionate (making for dull reading…so our apologies in advance)
We look forward to staying in touch and informing you via our complimentary newsletters of the opportunities from the ‘China Disruption’ investment theme.
Past Event Sponsors
Crazy Rich Asians in a Trumpian World | 22 October 2018
Queensland Opportunities from Aus-China Investment: Seminar – Lunch | 23 November 2017
Aus-China Property Developers, Investors and Financiers Lunch | 20 November 2017
WA Opportunities from Aus-China Investment: Seminar | 4 October 2017
Aus-China Film Investment Conference | 4 September 2017
Volatility and the Markets Lunch – Seminar | 25 August 2017
Significant Investor Visa – Chinese in Australia Lunch Seminar | 3 May 2017
Non-Bank Financing and Lending Opportunities in the Australian Property Development Sector | 22nd September 2016 | The Westin Grand Ballroom
Aus-China Property Developers and Investors Conference | 8th June 2016 | The Westin Grand Ballroom