The West’s history is divided into BC and AD. (Before Christ and Anno Domini…“in the year of our Lord.”) China also is split into BC and AD. (Before Communism and After Deng…referencing Deng XiaoPing who modernised China from 1978 onwards) But today, there is another...read more
Antarctica, China, Australia. Film, philanthropy and fostering understanding in the Aus-China corridor. 🌏
The latest philanthropic endeavour by our guest speaker, Samuel B Hordern, will be discussed my next Aus-China event on 8 November. Sam is a 7th generation descendent of the Hordern family. He is also a film maker involved in the Aus-China film sector, fostering...read more
Funding a solo expedition to Antarctica next month is the latest philanthropic endeavour by our guest speaker Samuel B Hordern. Sam, a 7th generation descendent of the Hordern family, will be interviewed at our Aus-China philanthropy and SLO (social licence to...read more
In today’s tense geopolitical world, Chinese businesses and Australian ‘compradors’ are reassessing their ‘social license to operate’ (SLO). A SLO is the public’s acceptance of the operating practices of a business. It’s not a regulatory requirement but an ethical...read more
Albourne Partners, a Key Opinion Leader in the alternative investment world of hedge funds, private equity, real estate, real assets and dynamic beta, is speaking at the Investing in an Age of Superpower Rivalries seminar, organised by BasisPoint in association with...read more
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. So four investment eyes must be spectacular in an age of China-US tensions. I am pleased to assemble a unique panel of speakers at a Sydney event on 15 November, organised in association with Deloitte, to discuss...read more
Subscribe to our newsletter
Our newsletter explores the following themes
- The growth and power of China’s ultra-HNW is greater than the late-1800s US ‘robber barons’ and the UK taipans & industrialists of the mid-1800s
- However, the angst generated is similar (for their ruthlessness, power, & moral ambiguity, whether real or perceived), until time and philanthropy turns them into ‘high-society.’
- China’s HNW will become stronger global forces as the ‘China Dream’ eventuates. Their money will influence asset values and popular culture in the West
- Volatility is part of this disruption. The US suffered its Great Depression during its rapid global ascendency in the 1900s
China’s 1-party rule AND the acceleration of technology voids comparisons to the rise of the ‘democratic West’ in the 1800s and 1900s. We are in uncharted waters when analysing China’s rise.
- China’s society and economy is changing rapidly. The anti-corruption & anti-extravagance crackdown, the move towards mass entrepreneurship & innovation, the focus on a consumption-led economy, and the reformation of Chinese societal values makes for interesting times.
We search the globe to produce insights on ‘China Disruption’
Our challenge, as collators and synthesisers of information from multiple sources, are:
- Information overload on China is increasing. What to include & what to leave out?
- Biased reporting (either pro or anti -China) needs to be reassessed
- Stories that depict extreme examples as the norm needs to be recalibrated
- Popular media often write emotive & passionate stories to evoke stronger reader responses (to increase readership and revenues), sometimes at the expense of accuracy. We remove the emotion and add insights so that the information is useful rather than passionate (making for dull reading…so our apologies in advance)
We look forward to staying in touch and informing you via our complimentary newsletters of the opportunities from the ‘China Disruption’ investment theme.