About Basis Point
Basis Point (founded in 1996 by David Chin) provides business intelligence and networking opportunities for participants in the investment & financial markets in Australia & Asia.
Our clients and sponsors include exchanges in Europe, the US and Asia, prime brokers, private banks, fund trustees & administrators, fund managers, hedge funds, and legal & accountancy firms.
They use a combination of our bespoke intelligence reports, directories and targeted networking events to better connect with their clients in order to capture business opportunities.
We cover three areas which are increasingly inter-related due to ‘China’s disruption’ as a major supplier of capital in global markets, and as a major trading partner with Australia.
These three areas are:
- Significant Investor Visa (SIV) investments and China’s HNW private investments in Australia
- The growing Australia-China property, agri and tourism development opportunities
- Funds and private capital sources including hedge funds, SMSFs, boutique funds, VC funds, proprietary trading /derivatives and Family Offices, especially with an Australia-China and Australia-Asia connection
To book David Chin as a speaker for your upcoming event, please send us an email via our contact page.
David Chin is an authority on Aus-China investments. See below for more information.
Managing Director / Basis Point
About the Founder – David Chin
David Chin, Managing Director, BasisPoint (established 1996) is a China Futurist on business, investment, financial, technology, cultural and geopolitical issues.
He bridges the gap between the West & China in diverse industries and has several non-executive director and advisory board roles.
He was previously Head of Marketing at Sydney Futures Exchange (SFE) from 1990-1996, reporting to the CEO, and is the author of Thy Fiefdom Comes, a fantasy/science fiction novel.
David has become an authority on Aus-China investments, speaking at dozens of events to C-level and managerial executives who seek unique insights on the opportunities and risks of the Aus-China market.
He is widely quoted in the media and writes an Aus-China newsletter that is distributed to more than 13,000 executives in Australia, Asia and globally.
- Hong Kong dollar peg: could democracy act spell the end of the city’s US dollar peg? – South China Morning Post
- China may use foreign exchange reserves to fight US financial war risk – South China Morning Post
- China has ‘price to pay’ for cutting US dollar share of forex reserves – South China Morning Post
- Investor visa cash now tops $10b – InnovationAus
- Could China dump its US Treasuries – South China Morning Post
- The new Chinese property play – Australian Financial Review (AFR)
- Property downturn spells the death of the ‘dog
box’ – News.com.au
- Chinese buyers tipped to search for property as significant
investor visa program matures – Domain.com.au
- Foreign buyers hit Sydney’s trophy market with a run of
listings – Sydney Morning Herald/Domain.com
- Sydney’s trophy market feels the effect of NSW government’s foreign buyer tax – Sydney Morning
- Playing by China’s rules – The Australian
- Chinese property investor interest in Australia cools as tougher regulations bite – ABC News
and tech the new China targets – InnovationAus.com
- Underlying Chinese property demand to
remain strong – The Weekly Times
- Underlying Chinese property demand to remain strong – Realestate.com.au
- Australia’s first Asian co-working space launches in Sydney’s Chinatown
– Australian Financial Review (AFR)
- Australia’s official
property price data tomorrow will show a collapse in the year to June 2016 – Professional Planner
- The Aus-China honeymoon is over… long live the
marriage – Property Observer
- Property market still pegged to Chinese investment – Nestegg
- Interest rate cuts: real estate experts disagree over impact on foreign
investment – Sydney Property Experts
rate cuts: real estate experts disagree over impact on foreign investment – The Daily Telegraph
investment: new student visa rules tipped to charge up Chinese property buying – The Daily Telegraph
- Australia’s plan to fund its startup sector has turned out to be a
flop so far – Business Insider
- Chinese Millionaires Snub Australian Stocks-for-Visa Program –
- Chinese millionaires being lured to Australia – Yahoo Finance
- SIV property curbs not going to affect apartment demand, developers say
Australian Financial Review (AFR)
- Chinese investors lose $12b of Australian
assets over three years as $A falls – Sydney Morning Herald
- SIV to raise $3.5bn annually: Basis Point – Investor Daily
- New rules open SIV dollar pipeline – Innovation Aus
- Extended Interview with David Chin – ABC News
- Opening doors to China tech opportunity –
The Australian Business Review
- SIV program: The Great Wall of Frustration
– The Australian Business Review
Past & Present Sponsors
Past & Present Clients
London headquartered futures exchange which is now owned by ICE (Intercontinental Exchange) and which includes the New York Stock Exchange as part of the group). Provision of intelligence on the Asia Pacific derivatives and futures industry from 1997 to 2013.
Options Industry Council
Chicago headquartered entity tasked with promoting the use of equity options on behalf of the major US options exchanges). Provision of intelligence on the Asia Pacific high-net-worth and investor/trader market in equities and equity options, since 2002.
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development). Consultant for UNCTAD and the Forward Markets Commission, (Government of India) on the development of India’s commodity futures industry.
Australian Trade Commission (AUSTRADE) Government of Australia
Author of several reports including; Hedge Funds Industry Report; Investment Management Industry Report; Alternative Investments Report
Malaysian Monetary Exchange
Now part of Bursa Malaysia. Consultant on the development of futures contracts.
London based FOW and New York based MARHedge
Units of MetalBulletin Plc since sold to Euromoney Plc. Provision of Asia Pacific news & insights.