China’s ‘New Era’ is upon us. Who will be the winners and losers? Last week, I outlined new ‘standards’ of governance, morality and capital-flows that will be driven by Xi Jinping’s new leadership team. The foreign relations and the economy of China are now discussed...read more
How will China’s new leadership team under a more powerful Xi Jinping impact Australia and the world? I’ve outlined five key points below based on my (so far) correct observations of Xi. And with all humility aside, I must confess I have something in common with each...read more
Misinformation about the Chinese continues today, 70 years after an ‘infamous remark'* by the Australian Immigration Minister in 1947 was taken out of context. Last week, huge news headlines shouted that offshore Chinese investors are ‘snapping up’ 26% of new...read more
The RBA today released its excellent Financial Stability Review. RBA’s Head of Financial Stability Department is the keynote speaker at BasisPoint’s Aus-China Property Developers, Investors and Financiers lunch next month. To assist the property industry, we’ve used...read more
What do property developers, Chinese investors and shadow bankers have in common? 1. Are they misunderstood high-achievers providing an economic benefit to Australia, but suffering from poor public perception? 2. Will they be at BasisPoint’s 3rd annual Aus-China...read more
Investors are grappling with a new world order where the interplay between democracy, technology & information dissemination has produced less clarity, not more. Key points: China supports democracy in the West...because 'modern' democracy has weakened the West's...read more
Subscribe to our newsletter
Our newsletter explores the following themes
- The growth and power of China’s ultra-HNW is greater than the late-1800s US ‘robber barons’ and the UK taipans & industrialists of the mid-1800s
- However, the angst generated is similar (for their ruthlessness, power, & moral ambiguity, whether real or perceived), until time and philanthropy turns them into ‘high-society.’
- China’s HNW will become stronger global forces as the ‘China Dream’ eventuates. Their money will influence asset values and popular culture in the West
- Volatility is part of this disruption. The US suffered its Great Depression during its rapid global ascendency in the 1900s
China’s 1-party rule AND the acceleration of technology voids comparisons to the rise of the ‘democratic West’ in the 1800s and 1900s. We are in uncharted waters when analysing China’s rise.
- China’s society and economy is changing rapidly. The anti-corruption & anti-extravagance crackdown, the move towards mass entrepreneurship & innovation, the focus on a consumption-led economy, and the reformation of Chinese societal values makes for interesting times.
We search the globe to produce insights on ‘China Disruption’
Our challenge, as collators and synthesisers of information from multiple sources, are:
- Information overload on China is increasing. What to include & what to leave out?
- Biased reporting (either pro or anti -China) needs to be reassessed
- Stories that depict extreme examples as the norm needs to be recalibrated
- Popular media often write emotive & passionate stories to evoke stronger reader responses (to increase readership and revenues), sometimes at the expense of accuracy. We remove the emotion and add insights so that the information is useful rather than passionate (making for dull reading…so our apologies in advance)
We look forward to staying in touch and informing you via our complimentary newsletters of the opportunities from the ‘China Disruption’ investment theme.