The RBA today released its excellent Financial Stability Review. RBA’s Head of Financial Stability Department is the keynote speaker at BasisPoint’s Aus-China Property Developers, Investors and Financiers lunch next month. To assist the property industry, we’ve used...read more
What do property developers, Chinese investors and shadow bankers have in common? 1. Are they misunderstood high-achievers providing an economic benefit to Australia, but suffering from poor public perception? 2. Will they be at BasisPoint’s 3rd annual Aus-China...read more
Investors are grappling with a new world order where the interplay between democracy, technology & information dissemination has produced less clarity, not more. Key points: China supports democracy in the West...because 'modern' democracy has weakened the West's...read more
Is it time for Chinese and Australian investors to invest in Western Australia? I've been asking myself this question recently. To invest when few are interested. When WA news is glum instead of glam. It's about buying straw hats in winter. Chinese investment has...read more
Geopolitical tensions do not have lasting impact on global markets. Not until the missile hits the fan. The following scenario might be the basis for a 'mock documentary' that science-fiction film producers may wish to consider during my Aus-China Film Investment...read more
China's release of a formal list of 'banned', 'restricted' or 'encouraged' overseas investments is a game changer for Australia's investment industry. Overseas property (commercial, residential developments, hotels, theme parks) is now restricted (though not banned)...read more
Subscribe to our newsletter
Our newsletter explores the following themes
- The growth and power of China’s ultra-HNW is greater than the late-1800s US ‘robber barons’ and the UK taipans & industrialists of the mid-1800s
- However, the angst generated is similar (for their ruthlessness, power, & moral ambiguity, whether real or perceived), until time and philanthropy turns them into ‘high-society.’
- China’s HNW will become stronger global forces as the ‘China Dream’ eventuates. Their money will influence asset values and popular culture in the West
- Volatility is part of this disruption. The US suffered its Great Depression during its rapid global ascendency in the 1900s
China’s 1-party rule AND the acceleration of technology voids comparisons to the rise of the ‘democratic West’ in the 1800s and 1900s. We are in uncharted waters when analysing China’s rise.
- China’s society and economy is changing rapidly. The anti-corruption & anti-extravagance crackdown, the move towards mass entrepreneurship & innovation, the focus on a consumption-led economy, and the reformation of Chinese societal values makes for interesting times.
We search the globe to produce insights on ‘China Disruption’
Our challenge, as collators and synthesisers of information from multiple sources, are:
- Information overload on China is increasing. What to include & what to leave out?
- Biased reporting (either pro or anti -China) needs to be reassessed
- Stories that depict extreme examples as the norm needs to be recalibrated
- Popular media often write emotive & passionate stories to evoke stronger reader responses (to increase readership and revenues), sometimes at the expense of accuracy. We remove the emotion and add insights so that the information is useful rather than passionate (making for dull reading…so our apologies in advance)
We look forward to staying in touch and informing you via our complimentary newsletters of the opportunities from the ‘China Disruption’ investment theme.