What’s different this time is that a recent speech by US Vice President Pence, summarising a litany of China’s alleged violations on nearly everything, was a cold hard view from the US political establishment, rather than from the flamboyant outsider President Trump....read more
Crazy Rich Asians in a Trumpian World. The best of times, the worst of times, an age of wisdom, an age of foolishness
Despite near-chaos in the US-China-Australia relationship, I have not released any comment since January as I’ve been unwell. However, I can summarise the past 8 months in four words. I told you so. It’s now accepted that the US has moved to contain China, including...read more
What’s the outlook for Aus-China business & investment in 2018? It depends on the US-China ‘great power competition’ that will escalate this year. The US National Security Strategy, released Dec 2017 pulled no punches in declaring China as a ‘strategic competitor’...read more
China’s ‘New Era’ is upon us. Who will be the winners and losers? Last week, I outlined new ‘standards’ of governance, morality and capital-flows that will be driven by Xi Jinping’s new leadership team. The foreign relations and the economy of China are now discussed...read more
How will China’s new leadership team under a more powerful Xi Jinping impact Australia and the world? I’ve outlined five key points below based on my (so far) correct observations of Xi. And with all humility aside, I must confess I have something in common with each...read more
Misinformation about the Chinese continues today, 70 years after an ‘infamous remark'* by the Australian Immigration Minister in 1947 was taken out of context. Last week, huge news headlines shouted that offshore Chinese investors are ‘snapping up’ 26% of new...read more
Our newsletter explores the following themes
- The growth and power of China’s ultra-HNW is greater than the late-1800s US ‘robber barons’ and the UK taipans & industrialists of the mid-1800s
- However, the angst generated is similar (for their ruthlessness, power, & moral ambiguity, whether real or perceived), until time and philanthropy turns them into ‘high-society.’
- China’s HNW will become stronger global forces as the ‘China Dream’ eventuates. Their money will influence asset values and popular culture in the West
- Volatility is part of this disruption. The US suffered its Great Depression during its rapid global ascendency in the 1900s
China’s 1-party rule AND the acceleration of technology voids comparisons to the rise of the ‘democratic West’ in the 1800s and 1900s. We are in uncharted waters when analysing China’s rise.
- China’s society and economy is changing rapidly. The anti-corruption & anti-extravagance crackdown, the move towards mass entrepreneurship & innovation, the focus on a consumption-led economy, and the reformation of Chinese societal values makes for interesting times.
We search the globe to produce insights on ‘China Disruption’
Our challenge, as collators and synthesisers of information from multiple sources, are:
- Information overload on China is increasing. What to include & what to leave out?
- Biased reporting (either pro or anti -China) needs to be reassessed
- Stories that depict extreme examples as the norm needs to be recalibrated
- Popular media often write emotive & passionate stories to evoke stronger reader responses (to increase readership and revenues), sometimes at the expense of accuracy. We remove the emotion and add insights so that the information is useful rather than passionate (making for dull reading…so our apologies in advance)
We look forward to staying in touch and informing you via our complimentary newsletters of the opportunities from the ‘China Disruption’ investment theme.
Past Event Sponsors
Preparing for Pain and Gain in Western Sydney | 20 March 2019
Crazy Rich in a Trumpian World – Melbourne | 12 March 2019
Crazy Rich Asians in a Trumpian World | 22 October 2018
Queensland Opportunities from Aus-China Investment: Seminar – Lunch | 23 November 2017
Aus-China Property Developers, Investors and Financiers Lunch | 20 November 2017
WA Opportunities from Aus-China Investment: Seminar | 4 October 2017
Aus-China Film Investment Conference | 4 September 2017
Volatility and the Markets Lunch – Seminar | 25 August 2017
Significant Investor Visa – Chinese in Australia Lunch Seminar | 3 May 2017
Non-Bank Financing and Lending Opportunities in the Australian Property Development Sector | 22nd September 2016 | The Westin Grand Ballroom
Aus-China Property Developers and Investors Conference | 8th June 2016 | The Westin Grand Ballroom