About Basis Point
Basis Point (founded in 1996 by David Chin) provides business intelligence and networking opportunities for participants in the investment & financial markets in Australia & Asia.
Our clients and sponsors include exchanges in Europe, the US and Asia, prime brokers, private banks, fund trustees & administrators, fund managers, hedge funds, and legal & accountancy firms.
They use a combination of our bespoke intelligence reports, directories and targeted networking events to better connect with their clients in order to capture business opportunities.
We cover three areas which are increasingly inter-related due to ‘China’s disruption’ as a major supplier of capital in global markets, and as a major trading partner with Australia.
These three areas are:
- Significant Investor Visa (SIV) investments and China’s HNW private investments in Australia
- The growing Australia-China property, agri and tourism development opportunities
- Funds and private capital sources including hedge funds, SMSFs, boutique funds, VC funds, proprietary trading /derivatives and Family Offices, especially with an Australia-China and Australia-Asia connection
Managing Director / Basis Point
About the Founder – David Chin
David Chin, Managing Director, Basis Point, established the firm 19 years ago, drawing from his experience across Australia and Asia as a ‘top-down’ or ‘helicopter’ analyst and marketer of the region’s capital flows in derivatives, futures, wealth management, and funds management. He was previously Head of Marketing at Sydney Futures Exchange (SFE) from 1990-1996, reporting to the CEO, and is the author of Thy Fiefdom Comes, a fantasy/science fiction novel.
- Chinese property investor interest in Australia cools as tougher regulations bite – ABC News
- Ag and tech the new China targets – InnovationAus.com
- Underlying Chinese property demand to remain strong – The Weekly Times
- Underlying Chinese property demand to remain strong – Realestate.com.au
- Australia’s first Asian co-working space launches in Sydney’s Chinatown – Australian Financial Review (AFR)
- Australia’s official property price data tomorrow will show a collapse in the year to June 2016 – Professional Planner
- The Aus-China honeymoon is over… long live the marriage – Property Observer
- Property market still pegged to Chinese investment – Nestegg
- Interest rate cuts: real estate experts disagree over impact on foreign investment – Sydney Property Experts
- Interest rate cuts: real estate experts disagree over impact on foreign investment – The Daily Telegraph
- Foreign investment: new student visa rules tipped to charge up Chinese property buying – The Daily Telegraph
- Australia’s plan to fund its startup sector has turned out to be a flop so far – Business Insider
- Chinese Millionaires Snub Australian Stocks-for-Visa Program – Bloomberg
- Chinese millionaires being lured to Australia – Yahoo Finance
- SIV property curbs not going to affect apartment demand, developers say – Australian Financial Review (AFR)
- Chinese investors lose $12b of Australian assets over three years as $A falls – Sydney Morning Herald
- SIV to raise $3.5bn annually: Basis Point – Investor Daily
- New rules open SIV dollar pipeline – Innovation Aus
- Extended Interview with David Chin – ABC News
- Opening doors to China tech opportunity – The Australian Business Review
- SIV program: The Great Wall of Frustration – The Australian Business Review
Past & Present Sponsors
Past & Present Clients
London headquartered futures exchange which is now owned by ICE (Intercontinental Exchange) and which includes the New York Stock Exchange as part of the group). Provision of intelligence on the Asia Pacific derivatives and futures industry from 1997 to 2013.
Options Industry Council
Chicago headquartered entity tasked with promoting the use of equity options on behalf of the major US options exchanges). Provision of intelligence on the Asia Pacific high-net-worth and investor/trader market in equities and equity options, since 2002.
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development). Consultant for UNCTAD and the Forward Markets Commission, (Government of India) on the development of India’s commodity futures industry.
Australian Trade Commission (AUSTRADE) Government of Australia
Author of several reports including; Hedge Funds Industry Report; Investment Management Industry Report; Alternative Investments Report
Malaysian Monetary Exchange
Now part of Bursa Malaysia. Consultant on the development of futures contracts.
London based FOW and New York based MARHedge
Units of MetalBulletin Plc since sold to Euromoney Plc. Provision of Asia Pacific news & insights.